Episode 109 – “Collagen Peptides for Injury Prevention & Tissue Repair” with Professor Keith Baar
In this episode, I (Laurent Bannock) discuss “Collagen Peptides for Injury Prevention & Tissue repair” with Prof Keith Baar PhD (University of California Davis, USA).
In this session we get into:
- Role and importance to athletes of connective tissue and collagen synthesis.
- Diet and exercise impact on collagen synthesis.
- The potentially beneficial role of supplementing collagen peptides for injury prevention and tissue repair.
- The various collagen derivatives (i.e. Gelatin and Hydrolyzed Collagen) and the important role of Vitamin C status.
- Dosage, timing, and other important considerations.
Key Papers / Resources:
- Key Paper Discussed: Vitamin C–enriched gelatin supplementation before intermittent activity augments collagen synthesis. Shaw et al. (2016) AJCN.
- ResearchGate for Professor Keith Baar
SUBSCRIBE TO THE GURU PERFORMANCE PODCAST:
For the full catalogue of the Guru Performance We Do Science Podcast, including MP3 downloads, web player etc – go to our Libsyn Syndication Web Page